Performing Hand Hygiene – Soap and Water
According to the five moments of hand hygiene, all healthcare workers are required to perform effective hand hygiene:
- before and after every client contact
- before and after performing any clinical procedures or body fluid exposure
- after touching the client’s environment.
Hand hygiene is the single most effective intervention to reduce the risk of healthcare associated infections (HCAI).
Indications for hand hygiene using soap and water are:
- visibly soiled hands
- if exposure to potential spore forming pathogens is strongly suspected or proven
- before handling medication or preparing food
- after going to the toilet
- as for hand rub, if ABHRs not available.