Assisting a client with meals
Ensuring a client remains well nourished and hydrated is an important nursing role. At all times, a nurse must ensure that food and fluid intake is adequate and meets the client’s dietary requirements.
Prior to assisting a client with meals, consider the client’s:
- preferences and/or care plan for meals
- level of independence and ability to participate
- ability to chew and swallow
- mouth, teeth and gums; a clean and healthy mouth stimulates the appetite
- environment; a safe, quiet and comfortable environment will reduce distraction and allow time for eating.